Novelty, Animal, Smalls & Judaica
An Exceptional Quality, Sterling Silver English Table Bell. Made In London By Charles & Richard Comyns, Dated 1925. Fully Hallmarked On The Waste, Handle & Clapper. Bell Is 5″ Tall And weighs 155 Grams. Great Quality, Condition & Ring
Sterling Silver, Large Passover Dish. 15.50″ Diameter. Marked On The Front ‘Sterling’ ‘925’ & ‘IBB’ In Clover The Pesach Plate Weighs 909 Grams = 29.20 Troy Oz = 32 Regular Ounces
Sterling Silver Tzedakah Box / Charity Box, Hand Made In Israel By Bier Silversmiths. Six Sided Body With Applied Hebrew Lettering On Front Panel. The Rear Panel Is Blank, And The Other 4 Panels With Colored Stones. The Base Is Round, As Is The Detachable Domed Lid. Very Good, Barely Used Condition. No Inscriptions Or Initials. Base Is 4.5″ Diameter. Height Is 5.5″. ABOUT BIER SILVERSMITHS: The workshop was founded in Jerusalem by the father of the family Yitzchak Bier over 50 years ago. Yitzchak Bier graduated the Bezalel Academy of Art and in establishing the workshop was also establishing a new concept in Judaica Art. There were almost no Jewish silversmiths after the holocaust and there was a need to fill the demand for silver religious items at that time. Yitzchak Bier won a special prize for an extraordinary Chanukah Menorah which he designed. Thus was launched Bier Enterprises. Most Bier designs are original designs of Yitzchak Bier and always taken into account are beauty of form and comfort of use. While over the years many new lines and designs have come to be part of Bier’s repertoire many of the older classic designs remain bestsellers to this day. His sons Mordechai and Meir followed in their father’s footsteps and together ensure excellence and craftsmanship. Everything at Bier Judaica is handmade using different silversmithing techniques: metal cutting, bending, metal spinning, lost wax casting, hammering. The silversmith can create almost every design that is imaginable using these techniques, materials and his knowledge and skills. Bier classic designs make use of bible verses, original decorative lettering and ornaments related to Jewish customs and folklore. Most if not all items are antique or used items, and as such nothing is ‘perfect’, but we always will describe any damage, repair, inscriptions, monograms etc to the best of our ability. Please ask any questions BEFORE purchasing any item. All weights & measurements are approximate, but as accurate as possible. Please view all the pictures as they form part of the description. All items are available to inspect, and pick up, at our Manhattan gallery. We do not ship to PO Boxes. We use Fedex Ground shipping, and a signature is required for delivery. Don’t forget we offer free ground shipping anywhere on mainland USA. We ship worldwide. Please contact us for a shipping quote.
Chased grape and vine, Victorian, sterling silver gilt, grape shears made by Mappin & Webb, dated 1892. 6.75″ long. The scissors are all silver and fully hallmarked.
Set of four English, sterling silver gilt, dolphin and shell master salts, made by Richard Comyns, London, 1962. The cast dolphin and shells are beautifully textured and are solid silver. Each Is Hallmarked. Measure: 4″ high. Total weight 1700 grams. From the estate of Zsa Zsa Gabor, Bel Air, California.
Exceptional Quality, Antique English, Sterling Silver Gilt Grape Scissors In The Chased Grape Vine Pattern, Made By Joseph Willmore, Birmingham, 1827. The Scissors Are All Silver And Are Fully & Correctly Hallmarked. 7.5″ Long
An absolutely stunning and rare sterling silver Neff. Superb quality and detail, and an unusual size. This three masted neff is fully manned and rigged with sailors, the deck detachable, the hull with putti riding dolphins and numerous fish and dolphins among chased waves and applied with a mask at the bow. Also Unusual to be made and hallmarked in England, as they were often German made in 800 silver. This neff is solid sterling silver, and is English hallmarked throughout. Made in London by Pairpoint Brothers In 1923. Stands at 26″ tall x 24″ in length. Neff (originally spelt nef) was an ornamental model ship, galleon, usually made in silver, silver-gilt or gold, and made specially for the dinner table. They were often quite elaborate with masts, sails, rigging and various figures on board. Early examples (13th-16th century) were drinking cups or receptacles for dining implements. Neff’s originated from the continent and were used in France, Germany, Spain and Italy but most neff’s found today were made in Germany at the end of the 19th century. Traditionally the neff was made in two sections and the top half was removable so that the hollow hull could be used to contain the spoon, knife, napkin, spices of the host. Later neffs were fashioned to hold wine, sweetmeats or a variety of special condiments. Sometimes the nef had wheels, so they could be rolled from one end of the table to the other. Messrs. PAIRPOINT BROTHERSSilversmiths. 80a Dean Street, Soho LondonThe grandfather of the present proprietors of the business was William Pairpoint, the celebrated water-gilder, who was well-known at the beginning of the present century. That branch of the business is still carried on, under the name of W. Pairpoint and Sons, in Gerrard Street. Mr. Edward Pairpoint, the father of the brothers Pairpoint, who had been apprenticed to one of Lambert’s subsidiary houses, began business in 1848. Of the place occupied by the four brothers Pairpoint in the silver world little is necessary to be said, for their silver mark JP over FP, may be seen in every retail silver merchant’s window in London. It is admitted on all sides by experts, sometimes with a sigh of regret, sometimes with a grin of malice, that ” Pairpoint ” copies of ancient patterns are dangerously near being indistinguishable from the originals, whilst their new manufactures carry one back to the days when the master silversmiths employed the first artists of the day to assist them in their productions ” devised in love and fashioned cunningly.” The firm is principally known to the trade as manufacturers of large and important works, such as centerpieces, presentation vases, and the like. To the amateur of antique silver and Sheffield plate, whether he be in Europe or America, the name of Pairpoint is a household word, and the quantity of antique plate and old ” Sheffield ” that has passed through the hands of the firm since the renaissance of 1874 is little short of fabulous.
Antique English, sterling silver, pierced ladle in the rare Stag Hunt pattern. Made In London By Hunt & Roskell, Silversmiths & Jewelers To Queen Victoria. The bowl is nicely gilded on the inside. The ladle Is 8 1/8″ long with a bowl diameter of 2 1/2″ Stag Hunt is a very rare Regency pattern designed for Rundell Bridge & Rundell by Stothard. The pattern was originally made by Paul Storr but Storr’s successors continued to make this design later into the 19th and 20th century The image of the stag hunt on the front of the stem is very graphic and well executed while the reverse of the stem has a striking classical design. Hunt & Roskell, a firm of manufacturing and retail jewellers and silversmiths, was founded by Paul Storr in 1819, trading as Storr & Co. (1819-1822), Storr & Mortimer (1822-1838), Mortimer & Hunt (1838-1843) and then Hunt & Roskell (1843-1897). Hunt & Roskell had retail premises at 156 New Bond Street and a manufactory at 26 Harrison Street, near Clerkenwell. John Samuel Hunt, who had assisted Storr from the start, continued as a partner until his death in 1865, when he was succeeded by his son, John Hunt (d.1879). Robert Roskell, formerly a watchmaker and merchant of Liverpool, joined in 1844 and remained in the firm until his death in 1888. In 1889 the firm was taken over by J.W. Benson and continued in business as Hunt & Roskell Ltd until circa 1965.
Stag Hunt pattern, six antique English, sterling silver Vermeil, ice cream spoons. Two are hallmarked 1887 by James Wakely & Frank Clarke Wheeler (Predecessor of Wakely & Wheeler). Four are hallmarked for 1876 by Henry John Lias & Henry John Lias (Father & Son) (Lias Were The Predecessor of Wakely & Wheeler). All spoons are identical, and are crested on the rear cartouche with an eagle. These are a very rare pattern, and unusual to find ice cream spoons. Great quality and condition. 13cm long (5 1/8″).
A rare pattern in and an unusual size, sterling silver vermeil grape shears in the stag hunt pattern. Made in London, England by James Wakely & Frank Clarke Wheeler (Predecessor of Wakely & Wheeler), dated 1888. Measure: 8.5″ Long. 211 grams. Stag Hunt is a very rare Regency pattern designed for Rundell Bridge & Rundell by Stothard. The pattern was originally made by Paul Storr but is occasionally seen at later dates by other premier silversmiths in the 19th and 20th century. The image of the stag hunt on the front of the stem is very graphic and well executed while the reverse of the stem has a striking classical design
Victorian, Sterling Silver, Boxed 3 Piece Set In The Rare Stag Hunt Pattern. The Set Made By George Adams, London 1849/1850. Beautiful Hand Presentation Inscription On Blade Of Knife. Knife 7.35″ long. Fork 6″. Spoon 6.5″. Box is 8.75″ x 3.75″ x 1.125″ high
3 Piece Child, Youth or Picnic Set In The Rare Canova Pattern. Sterling Silver, Made By George Adams, Dated 1857. The Canova pattern was first produced in silver, about 1850 by Chawner & Co for the Great Exhibition in 1851. The pattern was based on Antonio Canova’s ‘Hebe’, ‘Sappho” and the ‘Dancing Girl Reposing’. Canova was one of the greatest Italian neoclassical sculptor from the late 18th to early 19th century. This Canova was also produced in china & pottery in the 19th century Knife 8 1/2″. Fork 7 1/8″. 7 1/8″
Set of 12, sterling silver place card or menu holders made by Cartier. The base is 3.5 cm diameter and approx 1cm high.
Sterling Silver Seal Top Hand Forged Spoon Made By The Guild Of Handicrafts, London 1931. The Spoon Is Adorned With A Hand Engraved Inscription ‘ A Peaceful Haven’, And The Year 1931 Is Engraved On The Seal. Spoon Is 7″ The Guild Of Handicrafts is one of the more famous names in the world of silversmithing and one that still continues to this very day. Started in 1888 by C R Ashbee, part of that great Arts and Craft movement and G of H is the last survivor of Ashbee’s vision. C R Ashbee originally set up his ‘School of Handicraft’ at Toynbee Hall in the East End of London, in 1891 it moved to Essex House on the Mile End Road and in 1898 converted into a limited liability company, opening showrooms at 16a Brook Street and 67a Bond Street in the West End of London. In 1902 Ashbee moved the Guild, including some fifty craftsmen covering many trades and their families, lock, stock and barrel, to Chipping Campden in Gloucestershire. The name ‘Essex House’ was retained and there was great hope for the future of the Guild. Ashbee’s great experiment, however, was not a commercial success and in 1908 the company was voluntarily wound up because of its debts. This, however was not the end of the Guild. Of all the lines that the former company produced, its metalwork, and especially its silver production, was always the most well received by the public, with this in mind, a group of workers stayed on at Essex House and a new business, still retaining the name Guild of Handicraft was formed, its partners were; George Henry Hart, John Kirsten Baily, George Edward Horwood and William Mark. This partnership was short lived and lasted just four years and was dissolved at the end of 1912. Undeterred, George Hart continued on alone at Essex House. He was granted his Freedom by the Goldsmiths’ Company in 1929 and made a Liveryman in 1933. George Hart ran his business in a special way, everything that came out of his workshop was hand crafted, with the exception of an ancient hand roller, there was no machinery, everything was produced by the skill of his own hands. These skills have been passed down from generation to generation, firstly to George’s son, Henry, and then to his son, David, who in turn taught his son, William and nephew, Julian along with Derek Elliott. It is these four that work in the business today. The workshops are what can only be described as a time capsule, everything is just the way it was in George’s time. George Hart died on the 21st October 1973.
Novelty seven-piece, sterling silver, seated musician table ornaments, with sprung ‘Bobble Heads’ The tops detach at the ruffled collars and musicians can be used as caddies or container for other paraphernalia. Made in Hanau, Germany and imported into England at the turn of the century. They bear the Hanau mark for Bernhard Mueller and also the English standard import marks for the year 1900. Each figure approx 7″ to 8″ high. Hanau, once a free trade city in Germany, has a long history of silver manufacturing, which brought its silver manufacturers enormous prosperity and worldwide reputation. Neresheimer silver one of the biggest & most famous of the Hanau silversmiths largely exported to the United Kingdom, between the end of the 19th and the beginning of the 20th century. Berthold Mueller was an import firm, who distributed a lot of Neresheimer silver. The firm changed its name 1915 to Berthold Miller and was listed as wholesale silversmiths and jewellers, antique reproduction in silver, ivories, miniatures, enamels and so forth. Another importer of Hanau silver was J.G.Piddington which was independent of Berthold Muller and an import firm in their own right. The grandson of Piddington, John G.Smith jr. took the surname of his grandfather in 1900. J.G. Smith & Co are noted to have imported a great deal of silver, apparently an important part of their business until 1939. Many of these items, decorative in nature, of German origin.
English sterling silver clock made by William Comyns, London, 1902. French eight day movement with chime. Measures: 10.75″ high.
English, sterling silver, hallmarked salt and pepper frogs. Great quality and condition. Novel, decorative & usable
Unusual Sterling Silver & Ruby Glass Jam, Honey Or Mustard Pot. A Good Replica Of A Drum, Complete With Drum Sticks Surmounted On The Lid. Made By R. Blackinton & Co. Of North Attleboro, Massachusetts. Approx. 3.25″ High x 3″ Diameter.
Set Of 12, Acorn Pattern, Place Card Holders, Made By Georg Jensen, Denmark. We have another set of 12 available if you want to make a set for 24. Designed in 1915 by Johan Rohde, the Acorn sterling silverware pattern represents the early foundation of Georg Jensen’s organic and timeless design language. In contrast to the Art Nouveau style of the early 1900s, Acorn’s design captures a classic, understated style where decoration is used to emphasise the form and shape. Regarded as both a sumptuous and noble pattern, Acorn at one time had 220 individual pieces. Today’s range totals 76 pieces and remains one of Georg Jensen’s most exclusive silverware patterns.
Exceptional quality pair of sterling silver pheasants, male & female, made by CJ Vander. English 20th Century. The larger pheasant is approximately 11.25″ long. Solid silver, the pair weigh about 2,000 grams. Both are fully & correctly hallmarked
Tiffany Sterling Silver Owl Salt & Pepper Shakers. Made In England By Richard Comyns For Tiffany. Hallmark Date Of 1967. 2 3/4″ High. We Also Have These Owl Salt & Peppers In A Smaller Size.
32 pc German Sterling Silver And Gilt Chess Set. Intricately detailed pieces with handcarved bone faces and hands, gemstones, sterling and gilt details. Gorgeous quality, solid silver set. Made By The Crafstmen Silversmiths Of Hannau, Germany For Garrard The Crown Jewelers. Measures Approx. King: (largest piece) 7.50″ height, base 2.375″ diameter. Pawn (smallest piece): 5.50″; height, base 2″, diameter. The identical chess set, but without English hallmarks, was sold with a chess board for $62,500 at Sotheby’s in New York on 15th April 2011. All our items are available for inspection, by appointment, at our gallery in Manhattan
Unusual, Decorative Pair Of Cast Sterling Silver candlesticks, In A Nautical Theme, Cast As Dolphins. Made By Royal Irish, Dublin. Quality & Condition Are Exceptional. Not Weighted Or Filled. 7 1/4″ High. Fully & Correctly Hallmarked
Great Novelty, Silver Plated, Cocktail Shaker, Made By Bernard Rice’s Sons Inc. Apollo, New York, Circa 1930. Standing 11″ Tall, Complete With 18 Various Cocktail Recipes, In Raised Lettering, Surrounded By Raised Grapevine Borders. Very Good Condition, With Only A Minor Dent On The Spout Screw Cover, And On The Underside Of The Shaker, Probably From The Ice. We also Purchased An Almost Identical Model That Stands At 13″ Tall. All Our Items Are Available For Sale At Our Manhattan Gallery & From Our Website. A Similar Shaker Was Listed In The July Online Sale At Christies London For $3000 to $4000.